Flying solo today? Prepare a single serving of love just for yourself. Perfect for a quiet morning alone, a quick dinner or late night treat. Is there ever not a good time for a pancake? I didn’t think so. Try this easy vegan pancake for one today.
I used to think it would be such a waste of time and so many dishes to make a batch of pancakes just for myself. And then I’d have leftovers and inevitably end up eating way more pancakes than I need, immediately falling into a sugar coma. After a little tinkering, it turns out it’s incredibly simple to just make one nice size pancake. It’s ready in minutes and doesn’t fill my sink with dishes. Even if you’re lacking motivation, you’ll see this is a simple one and worth the tiny bit of effort.
For demo purposes I measured everything out, but typically I just use one bowl, adding all of the dry ingredients first and giving it a quick whisk, then adding all the wet ingredients, whisking again just until combined. Pro tip, be sure not to over mix or your pancake will be rubbery.
I’ve read that you should rest the batter before cooking to allow the gluten to relax. I never have the patience and don’t have any regrets, but give it a try and let me know if you see a difference.
Fill your pancake batter with whatever you love. Blueberries or apples are my go-to, but you could add other fruit filling, chocolate chips, nuts or coconut. Or keep it simple without. Your day solo, your choice.
TIP: It’s very important to get the pan nice before adding the batter. My first step is usually adding some oil to a pan and setting it to medium heat. Starting with a heated pan will allow you to get the wonderful crisp outside while being soft and fluffy inside. Just don’t get your pan too hot, your oil or butter should not smoke.
One final tip, don’t flip your pancake too soon. You will see it start to cook more on the edges and beautiful bubbles will form in the middle. Check the bottom and wait until it’s nice and golden, only flipping once.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan pancake as much I do! My little Buns isn’t as thrilled, but hey, she’s a cat and they usually aren’t.
Easy pancake for one
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (cashew, soy, almond, etc.)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- vegetable oil for cooking
- fruit or toppings of choice
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a small sauté pan and start to warm on medium heat.
- As the pan heats, add all the dry ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Add the liquid ingredients and mis until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in fruit if using.
- Pour batter into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. You will see the edges starting to cook and some small bubbling may appear in the center. Check the bottom, flip when golden brown. Cook approximately 3 more minutes.
- Top with anything extra and immediately gobble it down.